Friday, March 5, 2010

the next round

Whenever Joanna Newsom puts out a new record, I lose a bit of sleep. I never set out to obsessively listen over and over again, but I end up doing just that, dumbstruck, hypnotized, blown away. I wake up with the songs running through my head, a new one each day.


I don't have the musical knowledge to critique her new album formally, but I will say that album at times sounds to me like: ''70s," and then "piano man," "jazz hands," "brass band," and "steppin' out." There's a bluesy '70s rock thing that's totally new.


The cover image reminds me very much of old Biba ads...and the themes of decadence and debauchery, and stepping out of one's shell into a more social party circuit seem to go along with the Biba images, too.


I've been scrappin' together images that the album reminds me of.  Free association time!
Voila.
reminds me of...
 Biba








sources: one, two, three, four, five

Joanna, by Annabel Mehran

it also reminds me of midnight blue starry city skyline NIGHTTIME


(scary, but promising the unknown pleasures of adulthood)

and FOSSE
(heavily made-up, choreographed, jazz hands)

and PATCHWORKS DRESSED UP FOR GOIN' OUT



 > > > bag 1, bag 2, sweater, bag 3, belt, bag 4, bag 5 < < <
(handicrafts gone disco)

and a SHELL PLANTER
> > > etsy < < <
(that's the clear breeze on a porch on a hillside near the California coast)

and DR. TEETH

(well-intentioned funk)

and MOCIUN 'Caravan' FABRIC
> > > pillow, dress < < <


Joanna, by Annabel Mehran


That's quite a grab bag of stuff. 
There are also moments of really gorgeous, pure sound. And when it gets more funky, she somehow weaves leather patchwork bags, Dr. Teeth, Biba, and terrifying '80s Mac Tonight into a really incredible tales of love, desire, fear and doubt.

ps: this interview is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment