Saturday, March 13, 2010

rhythm and blues

One of the many reasons I love Joanna Newsom's music is her sense of rhythm.* The moments in her songs when one rhythm shifts into another are almost embarrassingly exciting to me. 

One evening last week I was flipping through the 7 channels we get on TV and came across a documentary about ballet students learning flamenco. I caught it at the moment they were learning how to clap out rhythms complementary to the ones laid down by the rest of the group. Not only that, but the students were wearing early '80s headbands, purple leotards, crisp blue jeans, and character shoes. '80s fashion heaven.


I tracked the documentary down & you can watch it all online.
It's called Flamenco at 5:15, by Cynthia Scott.



*more about Joanna's harp technique here

No comments:

Post a Comment