Monday, April 19, 2010

maryam and manu

I keep reading about Maryam Nassir Zadeh, a store downtown owned by a woman of the same name. The store looks sparely beautiful, with items hanging artfully on the walls, or laid on tables, bazaar-like. I envision lots of sunlight and rough wood, two things I adore. But I also envision being totally intimidated by the coolness of the space and prices of some of the items. I visited the website and was surprised to find an under $125 section, which is where I found all these beautiful leather bracelets by Manu:

~

Maryam herself is beautiful and, unsurprisingly, wears clothing in a lovely way.

three photos above: Kava Gorna for Refinery 29 
(Kava Gorna's photos are always so good.)

She and her store appeared in The Selby's first shoot for Cole, Rood & Haan. I love the way she wore this knee-length peach day dress with rich black oxfords.


photo: The Selby


That outfit reminds me of the brown shirtdress and black oxfords Winona Ryder wore in Reality Bites. (Wish I could find a good shot of the oxfords.)

I found a little New York Magazine interview with Maryam, and she lists her style icons as: Jane Birkin, Isabella Rossellini, Camille Bidault Waddington, and Georgia O'Keeffe.

I've never thought of Georgia that way, but the first three are on my all-time list. I wrote a little about Isabella, and her book Some of Mehere

No comments:

Post a Comment